Where introductions are made

First of all, thank you for bothering to visit this blog and as a matter of legal disclaimer, every part of this blog and references made should be construed as personal opinion, the result of (questionable) memory, and possibly an ounce of creative license. Nothing here is an official opinion of any official entity including but not limited to the US Government, Department of State, or should be construed as such. With that out of the way, I just wanted to explain about this blog.

When I first considered applying for the Foreign Service, I had just graduated from a good college, gotten out of a long term relationship, picked up a good government job and all-in-all was on my road of independence and discovery. When I actually passed the Orals in DC and began my clearance process, I was involved in a 4-year long term relationship with Coffee (who will be referred to as much because he loves Coffee).  The two of us have a great loving relationship but he has always encouraged me to go for my dreams, seek out the career that I daydreamed about and give anything a try. He has an established law career which makes it impossible to move but after discussions, we decided that we would give this (potential) long distance thing a try. I’ve often read about trailing spouses both men and women, as well as living the single life abroad or meeting and marrying someone as an FSO but I haven’t really found much on people who have existing relationships (or establish them) and whether or not they survive the move abroad when one doesn’t move with the other.

Some say I’m crazy for trying for a job that will involve moving from country to country every two to three years or for giving up on a great Coffee back home (no pun intended). But I see it as a fantastic opportunity, a chance to further myself intellectually and expand my horizons. Nothing is set in stone so who knows how things will end up (if I actually get an offer), but I thought I would share the process while it is in place. Who knows. Maybe we’ll both learn more about ourselves along the way. I would like to think that distance is just another small detail to consider.

Comments

Popular Posts