Where I practice one of the 13 Dimensions: Composure

It seems like it's been forever since I first set this blog up! And well, I suppose a few months can seem like eternity when there's a proverbial clock ticking in the back of your head. I have been enjoying the beautiful limbo that is adjudication for a security clearance. As most of you should know, Foreign Service Officers are required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance. To get on the infamous register list where you can be selected for A100 class (essentially your job offer), you have to pass your medical clearance as well as your security clearance, go through the Final Review Panel and then get your oral score confirmed as being added to the list of other qualified candidiates.

My clearance has been 6 months and counting. There is a number and email that allows you to contact the customer service line for diplomatic security to check on the status of your clearance but they can provide you with nothing more than what stage you are currently in.

"Your case is still pending with an adjudicator."

"Your case is still in adjudication."

It can get old but I still like to call every 2 weeks or so to check.

My initial interview had been back in late January but I received a call a few weeks ago from another investigator. Apparently Washington had some further questions regarding details about my clearance and I needed to meet up with him to clarify. It was relatively painless and I have found the investigators to be kind, smart and enjoyable people to work with. Both of them provided me with some personal advice and experience and it made the process seem a little less harried.

Hopefully Washington will decide they like me soon. I am not too worried about the wait right now though. With the current budget situations and impending threats of more cuts as well as furlough next year, classes seem smaller and potentially less. While I'm awaiting my clearance and review, my 18-month clock has not yet started ticking. September class offers have already gone out so it does not seem likely there'll be offers for another class until a few months later. I'd rather spend those twiddling my thumbs in adjudication than slowly having the lifetimer on my candidicay drain out on the Register. Just something to consider if you're antsy and feeling stressed about not getting cleared yet.

Time to enjoy some tea and mellow in patience.

Comments

Popular Posts