Where I'm alive! (still)

Oops, has it been so long already? Man, time off will do that to your schedule. I actually had a great start to a post all done up on my phone....only to leave my phone at the check in at work. There's rules about electronics behind the consular hard line so everyone leaves them in these cubbies by the front entrance. Unfortuntely we had a weird schedule going between the consular section and the main consulate due to an introduction event with our new CG (consul general) so in the haste to catch a seat on the shuttle bus, I left my phone. #fail

What am I without my google maps...?
It's alright, since I am wide awake at 4:50AM. I don't really have jet lag, but I did stay up until 3AM the night of my arrival, trying to unpack everything out of my suitcases (don't do that.) When I got back after an afterwork dinner and drinks session with some coworkers,  a sign in process with my social sponsor K who was nice enough to also take me to a local Japanese supermarket and Watsons convenience store (think a super compact Asian Rite Aid with a blue color scheme and a cutesier feel) to get some items I swore I packed, but disappeared between FSI and the land of questionable milk. (Toothpaste...conditioner...sigh)

Apparently when you arrive at post, you get a social sponsor on top of your office sponsor (sometimes they can be the same if you're at a smaller post.) A social sponsor is great- they pick you up from the airport with a driver so you don't have to get to your new home on your own. I did chicken out and line up with the regular passengers at immigration, which resulted in the officer questioning her colleagues in Chinese why the diplomat is in our line, all while I stood there with a glazed smile and pretended I didn't understand. They check you in, walk you to work, hold your hand as your hyperventilate over how amazing your new housing is, and even stock your fridge per requests so you don't starve your first few days before you grocery shop.

I don't usually put my instant noodles in the fridge, ok. It's just for the photo so stop judging. 
Considering I've already gone through some bread, bananas, and an instant noodle, it's a real life saver. I've already done the 2AM toothbrush run at the local convenience store (my first adventure), I don't want to also try a midnight food run this soon.

Look at my delicious finds from the supermarket! $5 BEAR RAMEN and panda pudding (minus real panda)

I'm now watching MTV china, which still manages to play US pop songs, so it's not that jarring. Kinda like an American media-hangover? (Does that make any sense at all?) I would be at the gym, but they haven't worked out giving me a gym pass yet and so I was forced to walk back sweatfree to my room at 5AM. Sadness.

I would shake it off if they would only give me gym access.

What to say about China- crowded, full of people, weak AC, and man is this city expensive! I'm in the coastal equivalent of New York with a dash of Chicago and the sticker shock is oh so painful. It doesn't help that I'm based in the downtown commercial area where expatriates and the social and financial top tier number more than your average Chinese in both quantity and income bracket. $20 for a container of Planters peanuts? Say whaaaaat? (I didn't want any, but a coworker was pointing out the painful price of his Mr. Planters love affair.)

花生?
The office has been great, everyone friendly, and everyone is super positive about how their experience has been at post so far. It's almost enough to make you cry. (Almost. Or maybe that's just from how much my feet hurt after a day trotting around in heels on stoney cobbled floor.)



Achy feet aside, I'm here! I'm alive! I haven't been PNGed! Sky's the limit, folks. Until I find my phone with more photos, Tea out!

Comments

Popular Posts