Where I continue to eat lots of things so you don't have to

Let's be honest, I'm just a bit of a glutton. But the wonders of social media mean I can at least get some secondary use out of random meals of strange and mysterious things I find everywhere I go. Which, in keeping with my aparent inability to sit still in one city, was Hong Kong last weekend. Nearly all of the Mission China (you know who you are that didn't show up...) posts had an unofficial get together- we were all in our non-diplomatic tourist alter egos for the trip. There was random food, expensive but yummy spicy typhoon crab (that spicy will make you cry, big boy), delicious michelin star dim sum @ Tim Ho Wan (still my favorite in HK)"junk" boat  cove swimming (I only got seasick ONCE, so proud), kayaking out to sharp rocks, thai food, people jumping into the ocean, people jumping into the ocean and losing their glasses, late night metro rides for fresh eggettes (ji dan jaai), discount cosmetic shopping, liquids stocking up (we are limited to 3oz of liquids in our DPO shipments), and visiting tailors to make dressshirts (k's last few suits and shirts were all with Yuen's and although pricey, they have outlasted all the other stores'). 

Hey, HK knows how to par-tay.
Random vending machines at the bus stop. You can take one directly to the airport for only about $4. (The bus, not the vending machine.)
More random snacks.
What a weekend.
I just wanted to show you the funky fresh fish (grouper) we got for dinner on Lamma Island. 
I also didn't bring enough clothes for all the different activities we ended up doing (late night lounges, anyone?) so I did a pitstop at a Forever 21 to grab a cheap top and a pair of shorts for boating. If you ever need last minute work clothes (say, if your suitcase goes missing, something that's happened to me before) I recommend G2000. It's like an Asian express with free minimal tailoring like hemming. Prices are reasonable and they have good styles. 
eggettes!
Crunchy on the outside and fluffery and on the inside. Eat them fresh!
TIM HO WAN
Look at that char siu bao- sweet pork goodness in yo mouth.
I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked on the HK trip since it was a quicky out of town trip and I didn't have my DSLR charged, so it was cell phone only. Anyone have a good lens suggestion for Nikon? I'm looking for something to replace the kit and 70-200mm I have right now. I love the 70-200mm but it kills me when I have to keep switching back and forth. I'm looking into the Nikon 50mm f/1.5g and the Nikon 85mm f/1.4D/G for something with a little more umph in the portrait close up areas. I'm a huge fan of sharp colors or creamy, low light, and bokeh/blur,  so any recommendations would be great. I've also heard good things about getting a wide-angle lens for outdoor shots? 

A few of us also went to a few cosmetic stores to pick up good international branded face stuff. Reminder to those traveling in/out of China, there's a 100 ml carry on limit for each liquidy item in your check in (similiar to the U.S. 3 oz rule). When I did my last trip, I forgot and lost an aerosol sunblock and half a bottle of contact solution to the giant trashcan. Sadness. 

Yes, I eat for your beneft even at the airport. Hainan chicken for the win.
This might be a fun time to touch upon that cool airport perk we get along with that black passport- the diplomatic line. I have to admit, when you enter the immigration area and there's a snake line 8 people deep, you do breath a sigh of relief being able to skip to the special processing line with your passport. And it is not just an ego boosting perk either, there are differences in diplomatic visas compared to regular visas which not every immigration or entry/exit administration official may handle. By having the diplomats herded into their own row, it keeps us from clogging the system when questions may arise. 

Haven't we all been here?
This week went by quickly. I'm on the interview line by myself these days, which is scary when I think that my decisions are exactly that- my own. It'll be interesting to see if anyone I issue gets turned back at POE...#fail. I'll also be headed out for my first out of town outreach trip soon so that'll be an interesting experience. I didn't do too poorly at the last few local events I participated in (a keynote speech, an FAO daytrip with other local consulates) so here's hoping this one will be alright. Send me some positive vibes, peeps.  

Check out what I found near work...
CRONUTS! (Croissant donuts!)
I picked up a dress for the Marine Ball this November. I'll post a picture when I actually wear it, but the quality was well done. I'm having the same tailoring place make me a cute blazer with leather elbow patches. I also had a winter coat made by another store...that lost my coat. They have to now make me another one, which I hope will be done soon since the weather is actually getting chilly. 
This was on the street corner of where I got my clothes made. 
My diplomatic card is done, but I'm still waiting for my HHE to clear customs and reach my grubby little paws. Let's hope it'll be here before Halloween, I have some ideas for a simple costume that involves things I already own. There's little feeling of the holiday here, except for the very random Halloween goods shop...stand? that I came across during my exploring today. Some of the bars aimed towards westerners and expats do have Halloween parties and deals though. A colleague mentioned joining a zombie run last year as a zombie- sounds like fun channeling The Walking Dead if I get the chance.

My costume is not as cool as this tho.
I recently am trying out having an ayi. The local equivalent of a nanny/housekeeper/maid, ayi's can pretty much keep your house clean and running smoothly. My ayi is only at my place a few hours a week, with the purpose of having a warm dinner waiting on the table when I get home. In addition, she does my laundry, keeps the house clean and picks up random requests I have from the supermarket. (Can I have a case of this specific brand of coconut milk? Thanks.) My hope is also that once my HHE is here, she can help...make heads and tails of the 3,000lbs of madness I packed. (X-mas wrapping paper was on sale on boxing day, what can I say.)


It's not a bad life, I'll give you that. 
 But enjoy these pictures and I'll talk to you all about my hardships with skype, vpn, and good cheese next time.
Quickie dan bing (egg crepe?) stand for breakfast
A little bit of Japanese takoyaki in my life. I thought I was good by knowing the name, but it turns out they sell them with 15 different variations that I can't read. I just asked for a "basic" one with mayo.
Good morning tai chi.
Typical lunch display at a food court.
Churros with ice cream for 23rmb?

Not bad, but I wish they rolled them in sugar first. 
5rmb carnations I bought from a little old lady sitting on the street corner floor. You see a good number of homeless here, many of them what I woud call "professional beggers" who get brought daily to their "spot". But I have a soft spot for little old Chinese grannies.

Comments

Popular Posts