Where I sound like a chain smoker while being sick and whiny


There's something about the end of the year that always makes time fly by faster than any other time of the year. Maybe it's all the jumbled holidays from September on, maybe it's the cold weather that makes everyone scurry faster from one metro stop to the next. Maybe it's the festive spirit and the idea that winter is a time for family, friends, fun, and other words that begin with f. (No, not that one, but thanks.) Except now I'm in a place with a whole new criteria for fun and friends, while distinctly lacking in the "families" category.


We last left off in the adventures of my maternal's first trip to China when we discovered Xiamen, which in my honest opinion is like the mainland on a Taiwanese holiday. Located in the Fujian province, it is the closest area to Taiwan, which means a lot of business and factories have taken advantage of that convenience in the past years. The view from the city surrounding the ocean is quite lovely. The area is also known for its fresh seafood, including the famous hairy crab (I never understood how this was supposed to sound appetizing. Personally, I prefer my food like I prefer my handsome French models, less hairy.)




I went to the 4th floor (yes, there's a 4th floor) of a Starbucks to try to get a picture of the view below. I ended up crashing this cute couple's wedding. Totally loving that backdrop.


See? Starbucks. Duh.
The local tourist spot is an island known as Gulangyu, was once settled by up to 13 consulates until around the second World War. An interesting history, it is now home to mainly tourists visiting, and 22,000 Chinese who claim hukou; the consulates have long been shuttered and remain cold and empty, waiting to be made into museums. 


Museum of wood carvings. 

A stone garden, the 12 zodiac animals are hidden throughout for you to find...if you dare brave the mosquitoes. 




The island is a pedestrian and limited electric car island. Most everyone walks or uses these hand carts to pull supplies. Even bikes are regulated for only certain areas. 



And of course, more food. Xiamen had that Taiwanese snacky feel and we enjoyed a few good street vendors serving up meat filled fishballs, squid onna stick, fresh sugar cane juice, and little sausages wrapped in a big sausage (rice roll).







Following a return to the city of "Up Sea", I took her up to enjoy afternoon tea at the Park Hyatt, which overlooks the Jin Mao and Oriental Pearl as the (currently) tallest building here. Considering tickets to the Jin Mao observation deck were about the same price as my fancy tea time, I considered this a great way to lazy away a rainy afternoon.



We rounded this up with a trip to Tianzifang where she bought souvenirs as well as to the Pearl Market out in Pudong, where they sell, you guessed it, pearls.






The eagle, God bless her and her "I'm tired of Chinese food" vacationing style, then returned to the pampering and love of my father. Who is too lazy to renew his passport to come visit. (But that is another blog post...)

She had fun (I hope she did) and managed to spend a good amount of time wandering this side of China before winter pollution settled in. I must say though, there's that moment riding home alone on the metro after dropping her off at the airport when loneliness really does rear it's ugly, rat mole head.



But I have the emotional flexibility of silly putty and the attention span of a 8 week old terrier, so I am back on my feet and looking to fill my neediness by getting Christmas mailing out the door and trying to get through some Public Affairs speaking events I agreed to a while ago (before I realized fully just how much of speaking events require, well, speaking.) Mailing involves the very convenient usage of DPO (diplomatic post office) which lets us mail things through the USPS system at domestic rates. Although a lot slower than regular mail (my last amazon package took 3 weeks), it still provides an inexpensive way of staying physically in touch with the world I left behind. Plus, it's kinda nice to give people an address to mail cards to that doesn't involve writing an address in Chinese.

Being in a place like Shanghai has its perks for sure- the ease of buying and finding western imports is much more convenient than somewhere like Shenyang. However, it also lends a sort of displacement, like you're not in the real representative area of China, much like Manhattan is not the complete representation of the U.S. I find myself a little lost in the mood of the city sometimes, wondering if I am coasting by in the ease of this giant metropolitan giant, if I am missing out by not actively engaging the local "scenes" since it's so easy to just be on my own in the malls and streets.

Thanksgiving came and went, with the main events being lunch at the CG's residence, or what I like to call the "pity-the-single-lonely-people" party. I kid (maybe a little), but the party was fun and a good chance to get to talk to some of the other sections like FCS who showed up.

This was just dessert. DESSERT. 
In a fit of guilt over showing up empty handed (I know the invite said no gifts, but nearly all these years of emotional guilt from my maternal says otherwise) I attempted to operate my oven. Attempted meaning after three burnt batches of salted caramel chocolate brownies and two visits from the engineers to turn off the fire alarm, I gave up and made a nutella cream pie instead. The single serving of caramel chocolate chip cookies were shared with those few who came into work on Black Friday. (Government only gives you Thursday off. #tear)


Someone please mail me some cocoa powder and baking chocolate bars...I burned all mine.
A colleague also hosted a dinner at his place with some of his out of towner friends. Quite warm and bubbly with mulled wine flowing and traditional foods being served (they managed to find pumpkin where I failed), I was thankful for the invite and the great company.

Do you see a surprise item on the bottom right? 
Well, it's a good thing Coffee will be visiting soon around Christmas. He won't be here in time for the holiday, but we will celebrate a late Christmas and New Years. I'm quite excited for the chance to go eat my little heart out without being judged for dining for one. Wintertime is the hardest in long distance relationships- as everyone has friends, family, loved ones, you become reminded by the dark room when you return home, the empty space besides you when you awaken, the rsvp for one, that they are somewhere else, anywhere else, but here.

I really am quite whiny when I've been left alone. Here's some more random pictures from the eagle's visit.

Cute wine and coffee lounge. These are quite popular. 

You fancy, huh. 


Le pearl. 

This was the most luxurious and relaxing coffeeshop I've been to in a long time. It has two stories and lots of couches and fancy lights. 

And tons of Putin-esque photos of its owner, badminton world champion Lin Dan. 




Comments

Popular Posts