Where lots happen and happy birthday instant noodles


I'm just going to stop making excuses, because honestly, it's like the same story of "woe is me, I'm sick, I went on a trip, I got lazy." So let's just move on with life. (Like, did you know today is the 105th birthday of Momofuku Ando, who invented instant noodles? Coffee should write that man a sonnet.)

I love Google's shout outs!
So many things have happened in the last month! I went to my first trial for an ACS (American Citizen Services) visit, which involved sitting for almost 6 hours in a room so cold the court reporter was hugging a hot water bag. I lost feeling in my toes by hour 2. I did get to try some authentic Zhejiang food, so that was a win! (Ya'll know me and food.)



These are local buns made out of a type of sticky rice. It's a weirdly yummy taste, with a light sweetness and chewy type of texture.
I rode my first high speed train for work. Traipsing around China is not new to me, but this was my first rail adventure out since my arrival at post. My LES (locally employed staff)  was very kind with me and we managed to get ourselves to our location and back. Our trial ran long and we weren't able to catch our original train back, so we had to hole up at the train station (this was around Chinese New Years, mind you) and wait for another train. There weren't any real restaurants around and we were both starving by then, so we bought a bag of local delicacy to try- marinated duck necks.

Oh look, lots of people. Waiting for a train. 
We're trying to show you that these are real duck necks. 
Choo choo!
In February, there was a really interesting Kathak dance performance hosted by the Indian Consulate that I attended. The dancers were barefooted and matched a lot of footwork with song and drums and since we got landed with some nice second row seats (just a few chairs away from the Indian CG and our own boss) we could literally see the sweat rolling down the dancers' faces. I hope we get some performers of our own in at some point. Arts and culture is a great way to share your country and music especially translates well across languages, I feel. Here's an interesting article on the differences in what is "culture" when discussed between Chinese and Americans, by the way.



There was the regular weekly poker game, where I donate my yuans to the my card shark betters. Someone in the RSO office actually has this neat poker table topper that folds out into a real felt top, complete with chip and drink holders. I won't say I've gotten any better, but I remember that a flush beats out trips now at least. I don't know what the norm is at other posts, but our group is generally pretty good about having activities happen every week or two. Someone will organize dinner, have a wine and cheese and olives-fresh-off-the-plane-from-Turkey night, even a "stop by, help yourself to freshly made cinnabons" day.

You don't see my chips...because I already lost them all :(

They brought back cheese, olives, and these really cool Turkish tea cups and saucers.
But on a daily bit, in between shifts on the line, trying to order bubble tea at work, joining our Fraud Prevention Unit, I have been hard pressed to wander out in the freezing cold weather to find the chance to enjoy some of the random bits of "living in China." Like Starbucks Valentine's day, china style. Or Mcdonald's red bean apple pie. I promise I will do better, blog.

For the workaholic that needs chocolate roses for their special someone...from Starbucks.
No idea what this is, but I bought it for D. 


By the way, the fireworks outside celebrating the last day of Chinese New Years right now is ridiculous. I can't even hear Agents of Shield playing properly. The Chinese do love a good holiday. Make sure to eat your rice balls tonight, peeps. (We actually celebrated at lunch today and forced had everyone eat four tang yuan each, one for each of the seasons. Ms. H's family apparently will only be having 9 months of happiness due to her inability to consume pass capacity.)

There was a trip back to the Meiguo which included the worst flight in my memory, multiple trips to Target, a 13 hour drive to let the puppy poop at the the Grand Canyon, buying Coffee's office's love with fancy cupcakes, losing my sense of taste thanks to Tamiflu, and oh yea, a chest infection. But that'll be my next post.

Yes, my dog always looks depressed when someone pulls out a smartphone.
And I would like to conclude by remembering the legend that left for the stars this weekend. People make fun of me for being geeky, and yes, I do in fact own both Star Trek Monopoly AND Star Trek Catan. I love sci-fi and refuse to pick a side on the Star Trek vs Star Wars debate. However, there is no way to not acknowledge how much of a legend Leonard Nimoy is. I remember owning the Star Trek movies on VHS, Sneaking out at night to watch episodes past my bedtime.



In remembrance of him and the ideals of exploration, peace building, the good of the many and the one, a few of us gathered at my place to marathon a few of the classic Star Trek movies. (Every time "Live Long and Prosper" came up, it was a shot of whiskey time.) I broke out my cooking skills for the first time in months and made curry, mexican cheese corn, and cookies. We had chai tea. We played Monopoly (until 3AM). And we talked. We talked about how some of us basically joined the Foreign Service because Starfleet was not in existence (yet). We talked about how being abroad was kind of like serving in a starship- you were away all the time, immediate support was limited, and it was hard to explain your life to people back home. Some of us talked about how we should all get Starfleet uniforms at work so certain managers get to have fun coloured turtlenecks.

In his memory, let us pass on the idea of "whatever I have given, I have gained" in our lives. Live long and prosper, ya'll.

No game of monopoly is complete without someone flipping the board...


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts