Where I geek out without embarrassing my country (more than usual)

Peeps...


No, but really,  I've missed everyone (digitally and physically). Congrats to the babies that have been born, language tests that have been passed,  and all the 177th who've managed to PCS to post in the last month! We're almost all out, I think. (Sorry Venezuala. Go flag day #2!) Yay 177th for also passing our one year anniversary!

#frontlinesofmurica
There's been some random spring showers in the city this last week and I've actually enjoyed it. There's something beautiful about rain, a stormy day, the slow trickle of water down a window as the grey descends upon a city that has always made the weather my favorite to be at home for. (Walking to work in my galoshes, not so much, but nothing is perfect.) A good storm seems capable of washing the concrete city anew, at least for a few hours, and the rainbow of umbrellas as people rush and refrain from lingering gives everyone that same feel of purpose for once.



The last few weeks have been filled with some semi-local traveling, a few work events, and exploring of the city through the recommendation of others. Being at post and having a constant flux of people who have been here longer than you also means being able to inherit the recommendations of their dining and drink explorations. My recent favorites have been in the former French Concession area, which is full of hip small French cafes where you can lounge with a cappuccino, little restaurants with tapas and bocce, and Bar No. 3 with intensely focused bartenders and fetchingly unique drinks.

Great decor.
...the Helen Massage next door was having their all-male masseuse team do afternoon exercises. #soconfused

I love the trees lined streets. Great for walks when the air is good.
She was upset coming out of her birthday party. 

Work has been busy. I tried to keep my promise of less volunteering to get a break in the last month, but even those times fly by faster than expected. There's work events like representational dinners and public affairs panels and there's also fun things like tickets to Shanghai's first Comic Con. (You hear me, San Diego? I don't care that I got up at 8AM to try and get tickets and failed, I can still find the opportunity to geek out and cosplay as pilots from Battlestar Galactica across the big wet blue thing.)

Oh yeaaa, last minute costuming inspiration. (This is not actually our photo.)
We totally lined up and took pictures with Ironman, I'll admit it.

Cute Black widow!
Star Wars had the best photo op booth
Random cosplayers
It was a fun afternoon, especially since a group of us had just watched the latest Marvel movie, Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. And can I say, I liked the humor of the movie, but awkward romantic subplots and Hawkeye's new back story? Not digging it. Give me back my Budapest standalone film dreams, Whedon.

That's one way to get ladies to pose with you.





And look! Patriotic Captain America shoes! 

You feel more American just looking at them. (Made in China.)
On a personal front, I finally got around to getting some more artwork hung up on my walls. Here's a sampling of my rather eclectic and/or undirected decorating style.

My new favorite. I am in love with the watercolor mixed with a splash of constellations. The artist is Agnes Cecile.

Yes, that is my flag day flag. And a giraffe painting from a friend. And a shark.

My triceratops has Groot & Rocket as friends now. Someone get me a t-rex already. 


My home gaming and work station #onceyougodualmonitoryoucantgoback

Oops, it's late. Bedtime and back to interviews in the morning. Remember people, galoshes work with everything and it's never too early for a Starbucks latte. 

Why is my drink on fire. No really, why is this necessary?
When diplomats invade and force you to take the long route.

THIS WAS THE SADDEST BEAR LYING IN THE STREET :(
I didn't lose at poker for once this week.
Fencing demonstration downstairs.  
Quick dinner takoyaki? 

No one in China gets mexican food right. Sigh.
How we show our friends we love and will miss them. #aurevoirPV




Comments

Popular Posts