Where I probably should get more sleep

Last Wednesday, my work had a lovely party for me to celebrate my leaving. They even got me a cake and everything! (I love cake. Especially cake with lots of frosting. Yum.)



My coworkers have been a serious learning experience to me throughout the last 5 years and I've learned a lot including but not limited to: where to get the best hot chocolate and croissant bacon sandwich in one breakfast run, how to best set up your iPhone charger so you can listen to Pandora while working throughout the day, and when is plastering pictures of Jack Nicholas all over your co-worker's cubicle a good idea (trick question, it is always a good idea.) But all kidding aside, this job was my first federal position and really introduced me to the pros and cons of working in the bureaucratic system. I've had a lot of amazing supervisors and mentors (in my mind, and hopefully theirs??) along the way.

Judy, Sue, Eric, here's a shout out to you. Thanks for helping me survive in this red tape wrapped world of paper trails.



Coffee was back for a week from out of state to help with wrapping up everything at my place and getting ready for the move and new tenant. Man, if you haven't done a pack out, it is exhausting! Get started as early as you can and probably earlier than you think, because there's always little things you don't count on. Like patching and painting the holes on the wall from where all your art was hanging, or trying to sort out what opened bottle products under your bathroom sink you should take with you and have shipped into storage (all of them if they'll ship it. 409 ain't cheap if you keep buying new bottles). I tried to do an inventory, listing all my items (most of the major ones) by room and then marking if they would be UAB (unaccompanied air baggage) or HHE (storage and subsequently to be shipped abroad). It did help me because I was able to mark what box each item went in...generally. There were 3 movers from the driver's side and 3 from the moving company. I was overwhelmed at first but they were excellent and friendly and were able to get everything done in about 3.5 hours. Not bad for a two-bedroom place with stairs. The not so amazing person was the pre-pack survey lady who came out the week prior and then didn't turn in her paperwork for 4 days. Make sure to call and check up on the companies that handle your things to make sure everything gets moved along properly. Also, double check your survey closely. I didn't notice she did not record my queen bed and box even though we discussed it and the movers had to use some creative wrapping and cardboard box covering to get everything protected for the cross country drive.

               Here's a picture of my messy place and my life being rolled away in cardboard and tape.


We got a hotel room nearby (yay for Westin down the street) and left our luggage and misc things there. It made it a lot easier not worrying about telling them "don't ship that, please!" Kiwi went to spend the weekend at grandma and grandpa's and ate way too much as usual.



I'm pretty exhausted and it was tough having Coffee there but being too busy to do much but work work work and then fall dead asleep. Not much time for romancing when we're both on time tables. Some of the things like our fish tank went into the storage at his place (which he is also renting out as he works out of state). Perishable or opened food products were generously donated (or forced upon) to our friends and family.

I did stop by Newport Beach with a relative from out of town though and then Irvine with J & D. It was nice to be able to remember the beauty coast (and weather) of California. I'm going to miss this for sure. (But since we were doing photography practice, instead of the beautiful ocean, enjoy these pitiful attempts at an artsy ferris wheel.)




 Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go catch up on two weeks worth of homework I haven't finished.



Comments

Popular Posts